Courthouse, constructed 1895, Front
Loudoun County Courthouse addition,
N.E. side, May 2010
Leesburg, an eighteenth-century town in northern Virginia and the
seat of Loudoun County, grew up around its town square and court facilities
after all three were authorized by the House of Burgesses. By 1996 when this
project started, the three separate historic buildings and a fourth converted
office building had long-since become inadequate to continue housing court
operations. The pre-design project included court planning and programming,
site and master planning, urban planning, and historic preservation
considerations which demonstrated the feasibility of locating adequate court
facilities on-site by means of new construction and adaptive reuse.
SERVICES: Against a
time frame matching a doubling of anticipated county population, interviewed
various key department officials, programmed departmental needs, assessed the
utility of the existing facilities, observed court operations and discussed
needs with all judges, and participated in developing criteria and a two-stage
design approach for a new on-site courthouse and the reuse of existing
facilities that would be compatible with the historic neighborhood, the
historic district, and the anticipated rapid growth of needs.
DATE: October 1996 -
Horne, Judge, Twentieth Judicial Circuit of Virginia, Loudoun County
Courthouse, King and Market Streets, Leesburg, VA 20178, Tel. 703 777
served as a consultant to the prime contractor in all aspects of the project,
contributing in each technical phase.
UPDATE: The project
has completed its design phase is in operation, bringing
life to our planning recommendations.